Wednesday, September 19, 2012

8 Commonly Used Phrases That Make No Sense

Want to be a clear, concise communicator? Here’s a simple tip that guarantees you will take a step towards that goal: cut out unnecessary adjectives and adverbs – usually words like very, really, absolutely and extremely, although not limited to these. But even if you are addicted to jazzing-up your communication with a few extra words that don’t add much value, there are certain combinations that should be banned. These are the ones that are nonsensical, rather than just being surplus words.

 

Here is my list of the most common (and irritating!) culprits:

 

1. Past (or previous) experience

Do you have access to a time machine? If not, it’s unlikely you’ve had any future experience.

 

2. Future planning

If you spend a lot of time on past planning, save yourself the trouble – it isn’t much help.

 

3. Totally unique

It’s either the only one of its kind or it isn’t! It’s not possible to be half unique.

 

4. Free gift

I can’t remember the last person who gave me a gift and then presented me with the bill for it! I certainly wouldn’t have been grateful.

 

5. New recruit

Have you got a few old ones stored away in a dusty cupboard?

 

6. New innovation

If only we could get rewarded for old innovation, life would be so much easier. I’d love to ‘innovate’ the light bulb, electricity and the wheel! What old innovations will you create today?

 

7. Two halves

Ever seen a melon being halved into four, or six, or eight?

 

8. Literally combined with anything that clearly didn’t happen

…as in “my heart was literally in my mouth” or “I literally jumped out of my skin” (gory).

No comments:

Post a Comment